Big stars, big production house, bigger canvas and a big big adaptation. Agneepath had everything going for it, but did it really live up to the expectations of all true blue fans of its original will be seriously disputed in the days to come. It may well turn out to be the intended blockbuster in trade language but will it satisfy the real followers who have been holding it very dearly in their hearts? My answer is a big empathic NO and there are several reasons which I would like to point across which necessarily all may not agree to and this is my personal take.
Note – I am sure everyone is aware of the plot & hence I am not going to dwell upon the same over here.
- Ok Mr.Karan Johar so this one is a homage to Mukul Anand and your father Yash Johar but don’t you have any concern for their soul who must be wandering back to earth for this unimaginably bad version? You will have a tiring time with Sunita Menon in doing witchcraft for this and there will be no redemption.
- Karan Malhotra - dude what were you smoking when you wanted to do an adaptation of such a cult classic? Was that cocaine cultivated in Mandwa ( in the film ), growing in your own backyard? Even if you would have been a fanboy, this movie deserved a vision and style to match up the original. When the original was way ahead of its time, you took the catastrophic route of taking this movie back 20 years.
- My dear Priyanka Chopra, with folded hands I request you not to be visible in movies for the near future. Kali Kavde and your nauseating performance should be transported to a world where Extra Terrestrials can bear and make you feel at home. Your demise is the first bright spot about this film.
- Sanjay Dutt you beauty, did a complete transformation and I wished that you have been given a character that can never fail going by the previous version. But you are wrong my dear friend, because actors put life to them and you only laugh on them. Bhagwad Gita is not your cup of tea and versing them too. The day you stop being in an illusion of always playing Raghu from Vaastav will be a defining moment for Indian Cinema.
- When Terelyne, Usman, Hasmukh and Anna Shetty can’t be portrayed by different artistes we get one Rauf Laala. Rishi Kapoor Uncle is given the difficult part of portraying all together and yes he does justice to it. He is the second bright spot of this film and it would be a shame if some really good worthy roles don’t come his way.
- The art of background score is a true gift and if Ajay-Atul are highly rated in Marathi cinema for this then I am sorry to say we are looking at the wrong people. Ear deafening pieces where one can go deaf and having no signature composition for characters will spell a doomsday in near future at multiplexes if these guys make music like this. Chikni Chameli was a farce and even you know it.
- Hrithik Roshan gives a big hard try by his look and in no ways he could have matched up to the legend of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan. Roaring in pain with the camera zooming up seems to be his only way of expression along with quivering in slow motion, which has become a trademark of Hrithik. Come on man, we did not want to see your six pack abs or your effortless dance movements in this film. Vijay Chauhan is a man of rage and seeing his super sensitive sissy side kills the whole purpose of this film.
- Who the hell came up with an idea of eunuchs as Vijay Chauhan’s band of accomplice when dealing in action scenes?? Was there any development that Vijay was raised by them as they are shown to be his army, which we fail to understand?? How did Commissioner Gaitonde(Om Puri) remain clueless about his new look and identity while presentation to top brass officers ,when in the next scene we see him interacting with Vijay?? And Sachin Khedekar, Deven Bhojani- what were they for??
- Tribute without an essence of underling the strained relationship between the mother and son is one of the biggest drawbacks of this film. No connect to the painful turmoil and having an easy route of distancing both Vijay’s mother(Zarina Wahab) and sister; but getting as clichéd as possible while making a re-union makes the entire project a homage to K3G.
- Dark black shades to give a grittier feel is a territory best reserved for RGV and I think cannot be perfect in an imperfect world of Agneepath. Point to be noted is the Ganpati song which is so ideal as if the occasion is celebrated with clear decorum and that when we are talking about the early 90’s here. The old Mumbai charm is seriously missing and even Mandwa fails to establish as a character.
- Harivanshrai Bachchan’s glorious poetry is put to absolute sham during a sequence so cringe worthy that even Amitabh Bachchan will find it hard to nod an appreciation. Neither Hrithik understood the meaning nor did anybody else associated with this film.
- India-Australia series is a disaster because of Agneepath or is it the other way round can be a huge debate of contention. My two cents are on the former as the curse of Mukul Anand seems to be falling on Indian team too. The ODI series need to be re-named pronto or we are in a hopeless situation.
Dharma Productions need to tender an apology to the fans of the earlier cult masterpiece for massacring it in the name of reverence. Hope this puts an end to the remakes of yesteryear classics and save us the misery in future to come.
Mukul S. Anand may your soul rest in peace always.
And last but not least, how come there are glorious reviews for this film when movies better than this if taken in solidarity were given a raw deal and criticised harshly? I will leave that to the figment of one’s own imagination.